This replacement lens allows you to replace your standard “A” or Wide Angle (B or C2) lens of your Mobius, or Mobius-90 camera turning it into a Zoom/magnification Mobius camera. The Lens has an 8x zoom/magnification. (see sample compare image below)
This lens consists of high quality glass elements and glass filter.
Sample video from Zoom Lens (first zoom footage appear at 4:32, 5:45)
Note: opening of the camera case and re-focusing procedure required. (see below)
- (1) Zoom/Magnification (8x) Mobius lens/filter assembly
- (1) Zoom lens cover
- (1) Hex Wrench
Other items Required:
- Blue Loc-Tite or equivalent thread locker
General Good Practice when handling electronics, Must read before starting; whenever handling electronics, i.e. printed circuit board, flex cable, you must take care not to introduce ESD (electro Static Discharge) into the device. This is most commonly seen in the dry winter months when you walk across the room and touch something metal and get a shock. So before working on the camera it is a good idea to touch something metal to dissipate before starting; do this again every time you move from your work area. When handling the printed circuit boards, always try to handle the board from its edges, also avoid touching electrical contacts on the the flex cable.
- Using a #1 small Philips screw driver, remove the (2) screws on the bottom, front of Mobius housing.
- Hinge camera case open (front to rear)
- Carefully unplug the small connector for the battery.
- Carefully open latch on flat flex cable connector on main printed circuit board and remove lens, sensor, flex cable assembly. (note: this step may be skipped if you feel you can perform the following steps while connected to the camera)
- Using the provide small Hex wrench, loosen the set screw on the bottom of the lens housing.
- While firmly holding the outer part of the lens with one hand and the lens housing with the other hand, unscrew the lens from the assembly. (Note: this may take some force)
- Take the new Zoom lens and make sure the filter glass on the backside is free of dust or finger prints, then re-assemble back into the lens housing being careful to not cross thread the threads. DO NOT THREAD ALL THE WAY IN, as you may damage the sensor glass.
- Note: It is recommended to place a small drop of Blue loc-tite or equivalent thread locker on the thread before assembly. Lens will be in approximate focus when approx .45in (7/16in) or 11.4mm of the thread is exposed
- The lens now needs to be focused, this can be most easily done by putting the camera in webcam mode.
- Reconnect the Flat Flex cable if removed in step 4, then reconnect the battery, remove the memory card, plug in USB cable to computer, then turn camera on and view in webcam utility, i.e. AMCap
- Turn lens until desired focus is achieved, (again, being careful to not screw in too far as damage may occur to sensor glass) then tighten set screw and reassemble camera. (allow some time for the thread locker to cure)
If this sounds too involved and you just want to order a zoom lens Mobius camera, you may do so by checking out our Mobius Zoom Lens camera packages, here.
Many People have asked if this lens can be used with the new Mobius2 camera, the answer is yes, but focusing is a bit different due to the fact that the Mobius2 does not support live video/webcam mode, so the picture below is another approach that you can use to get the focus set approximately. Fine tuning is achieved by making small adjustments, capturing video, viewing it, then making more changes until desired focus is achieved.